Friday, April 21, 2023

Fields of Flowers

Morning belongs to the dogs 

they claim it before there is light in the sky

today it is the back yard they choose

it is a quieter place 

there is furniture and a hiding place


Signs of spring resurrection 

in this garden

put on hold by April freeze

we remind ourselves the oak

becomes mighty through perseverance 

the cottonwoods wait for some sustained warmth


The relentless passing time slows a few moments

I remember trying years past

to plant the seeds of faith and belonging 

for my little girls

like much in life experience 

they come upon their own cradle of welcoming spirit 

entire fields of poppies and lupine 

trembling masses of wild mustard

heads of red clover and dandelion 

celebrate the snow and rain 

I thought I saw a pileated woodpecker

red crest and white throat 

but they do not come here

sometimes I have mistaken finches

for cedar waxwings 


The world tends to brighten between my eyes and my knowing 

not as brilliant as some

for whom any hazard has its repair in the offing

nature takes its course 

we celebrate


#NaPoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment