Friday, April 21, 2023

Romance of Place


There are places that make my heart glad

life allows me to return to them

time over time across the span of a life 


San Francisco from a distance 

was to my child’s eyes a city pretending to be a crystal matrix 

in those days all the buildings were squared off on top

in a geologic symmetry 


Be they ferries or houseboats

restaurants rising out of the bay

the allure of being over top of the water

elevates all moods


Sausalito my townish friend

where on the cusp of adulthood

I came in rolled black skirt and poet blouse

girl singing on stage whiskey in hand

I had sloe gin held to no curfew

my girl friends and I out in the night 

held in check by only the ropes of needing these times to go on and on 


In these times there is a we

an us

as two we meet with daughters and friends

we traipse in the falling rain

recognize we need to return

there is a tether here

we need these times to go on and on


#NaPoWriMo

#sausalito

No comments:

Post a Comment