Tuesday, April 12, 2022

April 12 2022

 Upon the land where I was a child

poppies and lupine now paint the hills

in a wash of Monet brush color


For my friends still there

overlooking the swells and folds

where scrub oaks emerge from cracked rocks

grey green with lichen 

this scene unfolds like the beloved familiar setting of a favorite play


Here in what had been sandy shaded bosque

not too long ago

transformed to neighborhoods 

the new oak begins to leaf out

slender catkins following

a companion will be needed if there are to be acorns 

unless the stirring winds bring pollens 

all the way from the botanical gardens 

that always seem so close

but are hardly close enough to form a grove 


We can give up half the driveway and plant another nearby

just as my father spaded the driveway at home

turning over the clover he had planted in the arid soil

so he could experiment with plantings from other continents 

my favorites were the pair of dogwoods nearest the house

tiny violets spreading beneath them

tendrils of grape vines tangled with themselves in another spot

now that I wander his garden in my mind

I restore the fishpond and rice paper plants replaced with orange trees

jump down the seven stairs to the second lawn

as I did in dreams

preparing to fly 


#NAPOWRIMO

No comments:

Post a Comment