Saturday, April 9, 2022

April 9 2022

 After all those years in the rainforest 

discovering there was a carpet of plant weavings under the soil 

inches deep

connecting everything

I thought I understood the secret life of plants 


After the pandemic pause including two  summers in the high desert scrub

juniper and piñon 

twisted amidst thorny cacti 

more than anything the trees called out to me 


Here close to the river there are cottonwoods that glisten

long armed branch of ash and elm 

pistache red as autumn lipstick 

in their season

for me, it became cherry and oak

Montmorency for the pies 

aspen grove by the sidewalk 

surprising purple flowers of desert willow 


I prepared for the trees by reading 

seeing their pictures

I visited them in the arboretums

and still I had no idea 

of the flowers of the oak tree

or even of the tiny tender new leaves of the aspen

My appreciation for spring had to do with the color chartreuse 

unfurling of giant fern fronds

appearance of daffodils above the ground 

swollen streams 


Behind the house a pair of doves

have adopted us

they come around when I am outside

the dog watches them silently


Even in town 

seemingly defined by asphalt and concrete 

we live in the embrace of all living things


#NaPoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment