Monday, May 16, 2022

May 16 2021

 Yearning


This morning I dipped my fingers into the dirt


Twice I reached into the soil


Once it was crumbly, hard, and rough 

my fingers scraped at the surface 

moved little 

rough rocks buried halfway stuck like dimes in concrete


Then, under a layer of fallen juniper berries and dried up leaf ends

dirt like sand

textured nearly as dust

dry as dunes


dirt I could move

dirt without the property of embracing itself 


Where is the mycelium bound ground

musky dark soil

laced with decayed root structure

ah, to dip my fingers in fragrant loam

give the earth tiny seeds

where it will then weave mats upon the earth 

leaves and flowers dense beside my path


Return, yes, to the roots 

shady green places

of long ago 

to call my own

No comments:

Post a Comment